LAVC Writing Center
Online Tutoring instructions for Spring 2013
How does online tutoring work?
You will use the online delivery system, ETUDES--the same system used for all of the online classes offered at LAVC. Once you are signed up for ETUDES, you will simply send a Private Message to Writing Tutor with your paper attached. The Writing Tutor will send you back a Private Message and provide you feedback on your paper.
How do I get started?
You will need to enroll in Supervised Learning Assistance, Section 8962. This is a free, 0 unit section. Enroll anytime during the semester. You can enroll online by click here: Online Enrollment or by going to https://eweb4.laccd.edu/WebStudent/signon.asp
Within 24 hours, you can login to ETUDES by clicking here: ETUDES Portal.
How do I log in?
- Use the following information for your username:
the first 2 letters of your first name +
the first 2 letters of your last name +
the last 5 digits of your SIN*(Your student ID number that begins with 88)
Jose A. Garcia with SIN # 881234567
His username is: joga34567
- Use the following information for your Password:
2-digit month and 2-digit day of your birth, with no spaces between.
Jose Garcia was born on January 11
His password is: 0111
For more information about how to log on, click here: Tutorial for Logging into ETUDES
If you are unable to log-in through ETUDES, please firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
How do I submit my paper?
- Once your are successfully logged in, click on the tab LAVC TUT 001 8962 SWEIG SP13
- Click on Discussion and Private Messages in the left menu bar
- Once you are on the "Discussion and Private Messages" page, click on the link "private messages,"located in the upper tool bar.
- Next, click on "New PM" icon on the left side.
- Then, in the "to user" field, click on "WritingTutor"
- In the "message body," include the following information:
* The class with which you need help.
* An explanation of the instructions for your assignment. That is, tell us exactly what your professor asked you to do.
* The questions that you want answered about the assignment/paper. Focus the response to only one or two major issues.
- Next, click on the attach files icon. Please make sure that the file type is .doc. If you are using MS
Word 2007, be sure to save your document as ".doc" instead of ".docx."
- Click on submit.
How long before I receive a response?
- Sunday -- Thursday: 2 days
- Friday -- Saturday: 3 days
- Maximum one assignment per day and two assignments per week (between Monday 10:00 a.m. and Sunday Midnight.)
Because we are committed to a learning centered approach to writing, we will not physically make
changes to your paper. However, we will provide you with feedback, suggestions, and detailed
responses to your questions. We believe that by helping you focus on content, structure, and
grammar, you will begin to acquire the necessary skills to edit and revise your own papers. We
understand that paper length varies; because we are trying to serve a large student body, we will
identify key concerns that are affecting the overall integrity and quality of the text and address those
as specifically as we can.
Mon: 11:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Tues: 11:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Wed: 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. & 4:30 p.m.- 6:30 p.m.
Thur: 11:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Fri: 10:00 p.m.- 2:00 p.m. by appt. only
(818) 947 2810
The Writing Center
Los Angeles Valley College
5800 Fulton Avenue
Valley Glen, Ca 91401-4096