WELCOME MESSAGE: VALUABLE INFO PLEASE READ!
WELCOME TO HYBRID VCAP PSYCHOLOGY 1 SUMMER 2008!
For log-on information go to:
Here is some important information to digest before you begin your studies!
- When the site opens on June 16 th, please begin to actively explore and become familiar with its features. To receive guidance on using ETUDES you can consult the tutorials that have been made available at:
- Being a successful online student requires a great deal of initiative and diligence. It is YOUR responsibility to make sure you can find what you need. By exploring the site you can find out: where are the notes, where are the quizzes, where are the discussion board/forums. YOU should click every link and you will find these things. When you've familiarized yourself with the site, please register at the forums and introduce yourself to us. I will read and acknowledge these on a regular basis.
- You are expected to be a regular participant. I will make note of those who don't participate for weeks and then suddenly appear to play "catch up". Time waits for no student. Points will be lost and materials that disappear will never, never, be made available again because YOU failed to access them when they were open for business. Those who wait until the end of the course and then visit the discussion boards and post comments ain't discussin' nothin - they are shouting to an empty room. NO CREDIT. If you don't start making regular contributions to the discussion board forums by the end of the first week of class, you are rapidly losing valuable points.
- Please refrain from calling me - it is not an effective way to get a hold of me. Use email or see me before or after our Sunday class. I am not unfriendly. I hate the telephone and have a very hard time remembering to check messages. The turn around on emails will be under 6 hours almost every time you contact me, because I check my email accounts incessantly. I have several active email accounts, so feel free to send a cc to one of the following, to ensure that I receive your note. My main email account is posted at the site: email@example.com and you can also use my alternate address at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please, please, PLEASE sign all your emails with a full name and course/school. I will not respond if you do not. Sometimes your email screen name has no relationship to your actual name, but it doesn't matter - I need to know who you are for sure. I have hundreds of students and I will have no way to answer your questions meaningfully without identifying information. Please also immediately identify yourself if you IM me. I occasionally get creepy IMs. Starting with "hello" only will make me suspicious.
- Please take note of the following issues:
1) The quizzes can be funky. It helps if YOU are using a reliable computer that will not suddenly dump you offline. I will NOT reset quizzes under any circumstances. Sometimes people tell the truth, and sometimes they just make up excuses to get extra chances to take a quiz. There are no such thing as "psychic powers" I don't know if you are lying or not. And since students regularly try to "play me", I will assume all are guilty until proven otherwise. So it is in your best interest to make sure you have a dependable internet connection and take every single quiz I post, since I only need 5, you'll learn more and have plenty to make up the occasional cyber-belch that throws you offline. This also is why the major exams will NOT be given through ETUDES but in class instead.
2) I will use the ASSIGNMENTS feature for submission of your paper however I will be requiring you to email or fax this information to me as a back up copy. I just think it's safer for both of us. So when your paper is done, send a copy to assignments at ETUDES and then email or fax a copy to me immediately. You can also turn in a copy in person at our last class. Thanks.
3) For the paper I will provide addresses, numbers and instructions for creating a file name that allows me to identify you and save your work without losing it on my hard drive or overwriting someone else's file. Stay tuned for more instructions.
Please email me with any further questions remembering to include full identifying information. I wish you good luck, and I know that if you work hard you will be rewarded. I look forward to working and learning with you.