Media Storage Space
Media Storage Space
There are several locations where you as an instructor can upload videos and other media to show in your online, hybrid, or face-to-face course.
ACADEMIC SITES CHOICES
The MyLAVC Portal is a LAVC storage location that allows you to upload a media file up to 27MB. For complete instructions on uploading your files, just
- Go to the MyLAVC portal site at: http://my.lavc.edu/Default.aspx
- Select the “Faculty Portal Users Guide” and there you will find instructions for uploading media
Edustream allows you to upload media content you wish to show in your online or stream into your face-to-face classes. Edustream has a large storage space where you can upload media content from videos to PowerPoints. You may upload very large video files, even full length videos. The media can be shown through your MyLAVC Portal and Etudes online classes.
To Access Edustream
- Go to the website at http://www.edustream.org/
- Select Member Login
- User Name: this is the name part of your email. If your email is email@example.com, your user name would be bryantk
- Password: 1234pass
- After you log in you will be asked to “Accept” the Edustream conditions. Once that is done, you may begin creating a playlist for your class by uploading your videos or searching for videos in their Repository.
- You may also “Edit My Account” and create a new password for security reasons.
- If you have questions, contact Laurie Nalepa at firstname.lastname@example.org or (818) 947-2498.
PUBLIC SITES CHOICES
There are several public sites where you can store your media to show in your classes. The two most popular are YouTube and Vimeo. Both allow you to stream them to your computer to show in class and both have embed codes you can do to place the content directly into your Etudes or MyLAVC portal site.
This is a popular and easy to use, free public media storage website. One of the advantages to using this site is that there are many applications for both a computer and smart phone that directly link you to YouTube, making uploading and downloading very easy.
To store videos there you need to create your own, free account. If you are already have a Google account, you have a YouTube account (Google owns YouTube).
Creating a YouTube Account
- Go to the YouTube Homepage at: http://www.youtube.com/
- Select the link on the left side, “Create Account”
- Fill out the form there and you will have your own YouTube account where you can then upload your videos.
- For more help, instructions and an FAQ page: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1142412
A second popular public media storage website is Vimeo. Vimeo is a free site that allows you to create your own account and upload your own videos. Vimeo requires less information to sign up and is also very simple to use.
Creating a Vimeo Account
- Go to the Vimeo Homepage at: http://vimeo.com/
- In the upper right hand corner select “Sign up for Vimeo”
- There you will have a choice between the $59.00 per year “Plus” account or the free “Basic” account. Select the “Sign up for Basic” option
- Fill out the information there and you have your Vimeo account.
- Additional help with Vimeo can be found at: http://vimeo.com/help