From the Desk of the President
February 8, 2015
Hello Monarch Family!
Happy Spring and Welcome Back! I am looking forward to seeing all of you and our students on campus this week. We are very close to hitting our FTES target for Spring, so if students show up to add your class and you have room, please add them. Hitting our target in Spring takes the pressure off us in Summer, although we do have a healthy Summer session planned.
On the construction front, as announced in an email on Friday, all floors of the parking garage are now open! As well, folks started moving into the new Community Services Center last week. We are trying to identify a date for the ribbon-cutting for this amazing building. I was quite impressed by the rock wall, the dance studio, and the teaching kitchen, not to mention the amazing gymnastics center. And, if you've been away from campus since mid-December, you will be shocked to see how much framing has occurred on the Student Union building.
January was a very busy month for LAVC regarding both budget and accreditation. First, in my December email to the College, I included our Response to the ECDBC Recommendations from January 2014, which Vice President of Administrative Services Mike Lee and I presented to the ECDBC on January 6, 2015. Included in that document was our request for three types of budget subsidies to help us achieve a balanced budget and also to help us address our accreditation issues in anticipation of writing our Follow-Up Report, which is due to the ACCJC on March 15th. Our requests - waiver of our debt repayment for 2014-2015, $4000 funding for the 2% over-cap FTES, and a subsidy for each of our 11 growth faculty positions - were recommended for approval to the Chancellor and to the District Budget Committee, although the debt repayment was approved as a deferral rather than a waiver. The Chancellor and the DBC have approved the requests, but the final hurdle for these subsidies will be at the Board Budget and Finance Committee meeting this coming Wednesday, as this Committee must also support our requests.
Those subsidies and our Response to the ECDBC Recommendations were the foundation for our Follow Up Report, which was reviewed by a special meeting of the Board Institutional Effectiveness and Student Success Committee on our campus last Monday, February 2nd. Trustees Eng, Field and Moreno asked engaging questions and offered valuable feedback on our Follow Up Report. Once their recommended edits to the report have been finalized, I will send it out to the entire campus for review. Our Follow Up Report should be accepted by the full Board at its February 25th meeting in plenty of time to add the relevant evidence and to put the finishing touches on it prior to submission.
Because there is so much going on related to Accreditation, I have scheduled an Accreditation forum on Tuesday, February 24th from 3:15 to 4:30 in the Fireside Room. The purpose of this meeting is to provide an update on the status of both our Follow Up Report and on the progress made thus far on our 2016 Comprehensive Evaluation. A brief overview of each report will be presented with ample time for questions, and I encourage anyone who is interested to join us.
Oh, and speaking of the Follow Up Report, it's no joke: we will be hosting the Follow Up Visit on Wednesday, April 1st! The Visiting Team will be Dr. Lynn Neault, Vice Chancellor of Student Services for the San Diego Community College District, and Karen Cant, Vice President of Administrative Services from Cypress College, both of whom visited last year. Because there is only one Follow Up Recommendation, their visit will only be for one day. I will provide more details as the date draws near, but please mark your calendar for that very important day. As you know, for LAVC, our accreditation is no laughing matter and we will have to put our best foot forward that day, despite my preference for April Fools' pranks!
I wish everyone a happy and healthy semester!
Dr. Erika Endrijonas
Los Angeles Valley College
Download a copy of President Endrijonas Letter - February 8, 2015 (PDF)
From the Desk of President Endrijonas Archive
- President Endrijonas Letter - September 29, 2014 (PDF)
- President Endrijonas Letter - August 29, 2014 (PDF)
- President Endrijonas Welcome Letter - August 2014 (PDF)
From the Desk of Interim President Johnson-Hawkins Archive
- Special Friday Report from President Johnson-Hawkins - April 18, 2014 (PDF)
- First Friday Report from President Johnson-Hawkins - March 7, 2014 (PDF)
- First Friday Report from President Johnson-Hawkins - February 7, 2014 (PDF)
- First Friday Report from President Johnson-Hawkins - December 6, 2013 (PDF)
From the Desk of President Carleo Archive
- Fall 2013 Welcome Back Letter from President Carleo - August 2013 (PDF)
- July 2013 President's Letter on Accreditation with Revised Actionable Improvement Plans and the ACCJC Team Recommendations (PDF)
- Spring 2013 Welcome Back Letter from President Carleo - February 2013 (PDF)
- Fall 2012 Welcome Back Letter from President Carleo - August 2012 (PDF)
- Spring 2012 Welcome Back Letter from President Carleo - February 2012 (PDF)
- Fall 2011 Welcome Back Letter from President Carleo - August 2011 (PDF)
- Spring 2011 Welcome Back Letter from President Carleo - February 2011 (PDF)
- Fall 2010 Welcome Back Letter from President Carleo - August 2010
- Spring 2010 Welcome Back Letter from President Carleo - February 2010 (PDF)
- Fall 2009 Welcome Back Letter from President Carleo - August 2009 (PDF)