PASS (Preparing All Students for Success)
Global Cohort START Program
What is the START program?
START is designed to support the success of new Los Angeles Valley College students in completing an associate degree and/or transfer to a four-year-college. As part of START students will enroll in a math and English class based on their individual assessment results. In addition to these two classes, students will also enroll in a Personal Development 1 class. Personal Development 1 is a student success class which provides information about LAVC, its services and programs, an overview of student success skills and assistance in educational and career planning. Students will complete all three classes together.
How do I sign up?
In order to participate, students must:
1. Complete an LAVC assessment for both English and math
2. Be deemed eligible for START based on assessment results
3. Sign a participation contract during new student Orientation
4. Make an appointment and return for Enrollment Day on June 26th or 27th to enroll in math, English, and Personal Development 1 (Note: You must sign the participation contract before making an appointment)
5. Be able to enroll in the three classes at the available times (space is limited)
NOTE: Withdrawing from any one of the three classes prior to the start of the semester will result in you being removed from START and dropped from the other two classes.
In order to successfully participate in START, students should:
- Attend a LAVC new student orientation.
- Stay enrolled in and pass all three classes ("C" or better in math and English; Pass in Personal Development 1).
- Not drop classes without consulting their Personal Development 1 counselor.