Math Accelerated Pathways to
S T E M
Science Technology Engineering Mathematics
The goal of this project is to encourage students to talk about STEM related fields, to share their joy of learning STEM subjects, to develop better attitudes and mindsets needed to learn and connect STEM with real-life applications, and to celebrate and share their victories in understanding these concepts.
As a way to showcase students’ hard work this semester, students will exhibit a STEM related poster/project at the STEM Awareness week on 3/10 – 3/14. Individual classes may present their posters during their class time. Students may work in groups of 2 – 4 people to create a poster/project showcasing their knowledge on a STEM related topic of your course. It is recommended that each poster include the following components:
2. Principles applied to the topic
3. Short demonstration or description in words
4. Geometric interpretation if appropriate
6. Other applications (optional)
* Please include participants’ full name and contact information (email address and/or phone number) on the back of the poster. For more information email TovarLM@lavc.edu
The success of STEM awareness week highly depends on faculty support and cooperation.
STEM awareness Student Poster/Project Timeline for Spring Semester
• 1st – 2nd week: Form student groups & explore topics.
• 3rd week: Turn in your poster/project draft to your instructor for approval.
• 4th week: Complete poster and submit by Friday 3/7/14 to Math Department
Office at MS104.
• Poster/Projects will be exhibited during STEM awareness week between
3/10 – 3/14.
• Certificate of Participation and T-shirt with the winning design will be awarded
on Friday 3/14.
Funded by Title III HSI STEM Grant P031C110014
Los Angeles Valley College
5800 Fulton Avenue
Valley Glen, CA. 91401