College Budget Office
College Budget Office Reports
Monthly Reports FY 2013-14
Monthly Reports FY 2012-13
April Monthly Projection
Quarterly Report FY 2012-13
Quarterly Reports FY 2011-12
Link to the Fiscal Modules in Annual Plans
FROG Report 3/6/2013
Hi everyone: The FROG met yesterday and here is what we talked about:
1. We talked about the modules and the what we hope to achieve from looking at them. We agreed that we keep pushing around small amounts of money and that even if we choose to not fund any of the departmental requests, we will still be in deficit. The modules, without a prioritization rubric and a link to the EMP, which is not finished, will be difficult for the FROG to analyze.
2. Larger cuts that will have a real impact on the deficit need to be a larger part of our conversation. We cannot achieve a balanced budget by trying to manage the small amount of funds remaining after covering required expenses (as stated in #1). The only way to get out of deficit is by a significant increase in our allocation (or other revenue, if that is possible), or by a significant decrease in our expenses. Since the District continues to refuse to increase our allocation, it appears that we have no choice but to make some significant cut(s) in expenses. It is important that we get the EMP discussion going, to guide us in this task.
Here is what we recommended:
1. The Budget Office will:
A. Do a trend analysis of expenditures by division and GL going back to the 04-05 fiscal year. We chose 04-05 because that will allow us to look at three years of having positive revenue.
B. Report back to the FROG on issues/problems with the modules.
*I talked to Violet today and she said that she will have a report on this at the next IEC.
2. The chair of IEC will increase communication on this campus by emailing the summary of the modules to Dept chairs and will solicit feedback from department chairs on the summary and the modules.
3. The campus needs to examine a division based prioritization system.
4. We need to look at the feasibility of a zero based funding model.
5. Due to some departments moving money into inappropriate accounts and others overspending, we need to increase oversight and accountability of departments and how they manage their funds.
6. We need to start linking the modules together so we can see how they inform each other.
7. Senior staff needs to reconcile the Op Plan generated for the district with the actual employees at Valley College.
These are my notes. We do need more specifics and who will do some of these things. My suggestion is that we bring this formally as a report to the next IEC and there we decide who is going to do what.
On another note, does anyone have any issues with me sending out to the Chairs and Directors listserve the WEC modules, this FROG report, and the link to the fiscal modules that are on the budget website? I'd like to do that today.